Cobbing my cottage

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Autumn Winds

Whilst November rain is licking the windowpanes of my chilly London flat, I think about my little cottage by the edge of woods, wondering how the Autumn winds and freezing Finnish nights are treating my earthen baby. Even though the Fall in UK has been busy for me, making all kinds of crafts to stock up my Etsy shop TaikaEarth, my curiosity and longing to see a glimpse of 'Elaman Puu' has grown each and every day. Last week while I was talking to my mother I couldn't wait any longer, so I asked her to take a few pictures and send them to me. Here is what I received...

My cottage in the beginning of November. The seasons have changed but it's still as beautiful as ever.



Sleeping Baby Dragon - she is hibernating over the Winter to be re-awakened next Summer.

The last weeks and months of my life have been quite tough and emotionally draining, but when I saw the photos of my cottage, the biggest pixie smile imaginable on this side of our galaxy appeared on my face. Ah! I LOVE this place with all my heart ❤  I wish I could have teleported myself next to it and given it a big squeeze. And after that pursue to squeeze all the trees in the forest. And the mosses. And the rocks. And you get the point.

The next time I see my cottage in person will be in the middle of snowy, freezing Winter. I can already picture the view in my head, the green roof covered by a thick snow hat and the baby dragon patiently waiting. I am hoping I can spend some time inside of my tiny house regardless of the cold, and recharge my emotional and physical batteries. As I will be needing them later on in the year. Not only because of my plans to finish the cottage but also because of... something else that will require a lot of focus, love and courage. But I can't tell you yet, I promised the tree I will keep it as a secret.

When I reflect back on the past Summer, in many ways I feel it was a dream. Not a dream I slept through but which I actively participated in. However, the end result is the same; an enchanting, personal story that is somewhat surreal but totally magical. And of course like the best of stories and life itself, it is not finished yet. The trees of my life have many more stories to tell.... maybe even some secrets... ❤







13 comments:

  1. Heidi,
    I just spent the day reading your blog start to finish... I couldn't stop! And I just wanted to say that you are such a huge inspiration to me, to us (my partner Jon, and our baby Ashtee, and myself). We have been dreaming of doing exactly this in our own little special place in the wilds of New England, and I have relished reading your story, and reminding myself that it is possible, even with limited time and funds. I have also loved the reminder about living life with childlike wonder. I share so many of your views and am grateful to know there's a kindred spirit across the ocean. I'll look forward to joining you on your ongoing journey. And who knows... maybe if we get enough money saved up we will come help out?
    With much gratitude,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah, many thanks for contacting me and your lovely message. I am so happy if my story and experience can inspire others to follow their dreams, and if that dream happens to be a natural, healthy house in the middle of a forest, then I can very much understand! It is true, anything is possible in this life; we are limitless beings if we choose to see the good and the challenges as opportunities. Our only true limitations are in our heads and minds, not in our hearts... all the best for your journey, I hope you get to live your dream soon! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi,
      Thanks for your reply! I certainly hope we start manifesting our dream soon... maybe this coming spring/ summer? We've been dreaming of starting nearly the exact same type of project since a long stay at Mama Roja in the temperate rainforest of Argentina (mamaroja.blogspot.com). Every day we talk about drawing up our plans... I'll be sure to let you know how our own story progresses, and wholeheartedly agree that we needn't let our heads limit us. I'm constantly reminding myself that, and then constantly forgetting again... I'll get it eventually!
      Many blessings to you, and thanks again for your beautiful inspiration!
      Hannah, (and Jon and Ashtee)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing info. Keep up the good work...We hope you will visit our infoformation often as we discuss topics of interest to you.
    London Plasterers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Deepak, and for the link to your site.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, loving it! Ilahduin kovasti, että Suomestakin löytyy jotain näin vinkeää. Istuu niin kauniisti luontoon! Onnea ja menestystä projektille, aivan huippujuttu. Kuulostaa ja näyttää siltä, ettet voi olla hymyilemättä tuolla -meillä kaikilla pitäisi olla sellainen paikka :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiitos Martta! Sehan se tarkoitukseni olikin, etta talo olisi ikaankuin osa luontoa ja luonnollisten materiaalien kaytto osa kauniin maapallomme ja erityisesti tuon paikan arvostusta (jossa vietin lapsuuteni). Vaikkei mokki ihan viela valmis olekaan, niin tiedan etta siella on aina hyva olla - luontoaidin sylissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just magical! A friend of mine is building something similar, in the ground though, not on top of it. I have built a classical strawbale home, but nothing beats this beautiful creation you built. Pure forest magic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nierika! I am glad you like my cottage. The whole point was to make it sit comfortably next to the forest, almost as a part of it. It's my soul's landscape and my heart lives in that little forest :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cottage is enchanting! It was a delight to visit! Thanks for all the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Diana, glad you enjoyed your visit - and my story (more to follow) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your story and your family and cob house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your space and your story are wonderful. Live the dream and be blessed eternally sister.

    ReplyDelete